20 Balsam St, Collingwood, ON L9Y 4H7
Owen Sound (519) 372-9411 Collingwood (705) 445-6165
Breadcrumb Image
When Is It Safe To Swim After Shocking Your Pool?
Home Blog When Is It Safe To Swim After Shocking Your Pool?
16 Aug 2023  /  by Matteo Companion   /   0 Comments

When Is It Safe To Swim After Shocking Your Pool?


When keeping up with pool maintenance it is very important to keep up with shocking your pool. Although, many wonder when it is safe for them to enter the pool. Can you swim in the pool the same day? How do you know if the shock has dissolved and is safe for the swimmers?

Depending on what type of shock you use, your pool may not be safe for swimming for a while. If you use non-chlorinated shock, the pool will be safe shortly after being shocked. If you use a chlorinated shock then it’s best to wait 8 hours minimum before entering the pool. However you are able to check the level of total chlorine. If it is within the proper range, then you know the pool is likely safe to swim in.

Remember to check the levels of chlorine before and after you shock the pool. This is to ensure that it’s safe. It can also be a sign if the pool is circulating.

How Long Does Shock Take To Dissolve?

There are all sorts of chemicals that are used to keep pools in pristine condition. Some examples are alkalinity, pH, cyanuric acid. Majority of these chemicals dissolve in an hour. The difference in dealing with shock is it may take longer to dissolve. This is the case because of the level of concentrated chlorine in the shock.


When shocking a pool, the main thing you strive for is to quickly raise your chlorine levels. By using shock, you will eliminate algae, chloramines, and many other things that may contaminate your pool. This is because the chlorine level after a shock can raise up to 10ppm. This is 5ppm over the recommended level for chlorine. This is great for cleaning out your pool of anything that can be harmful for the swimmer. It also increases the chlorine levels to a point in which it is unsafe to swim in. As a result of this, swimmers must wait 8 hours after you shock your pool to swim. It is also safe whenever the test strips say the total chlorine ppm is under 5 ppm.

When Does A Pool Need To Be Shocked?

Shocking is a necessary process in owning a pool. Shock is suggested after there is a large amount of people in the pool, or a large level of contaminants. Shocking a pool may also be quite beneficial when there is algae in a pool, especially if it is blooming.


Shock your pool once a week to ensure any contaminants are dealt with. Shocking will help keeping up with regular maintenance.

What Type Of Shock Should You Use?


Trying to decide what chemicals are best for your pool can be tough. There are so many options that vary in prices making it difficult. The shock that we would suggest is the Pool Perfect Fix Shock or Salt Shock which are used for salt and chlorine pools. For a pool with high combined chlorine, you could use a Pool Perfect Zap Shock Treatment to deal with the chloramines. Zap also does not raise the chlorine levels making the pool safe to swim in much faster than regular shock.

What Comes After Shocking Your Pool?

After shocking your pool, you must make sure the pool is circulating. Check that the pump is running for the next 8 hours after it has been shocked. Use the shock at night to ensure the sun doesn’t burn it up after application.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can you swim in a pool that has been recently shocked?

A: Before swimming in a pool, you need to wait 8 hours after shocking to make sure it is safe to swim in. After shocking, you should test the water to make sure everything is within range. As long as the chlorine readings go below 5 ppm it should be safe to swim in.

Q: What would happen if I swam in a pool that was recently shocked?

A: Swimming in a pool shortly after it has been shocked can affect your eyes and skin in poor ways. Chlorine in large amounts can be corrosive to the skin so it is best to avoid swimming shortly after shocking a pool. If you do decide to swim in a pool that was recently shocked, make sure you do not swallow the water. If you do swallow it, seek immediate medical help.

Q: How long should your filter run after shocking a pool?

A: Once you shock your pool, you should leave your filters running for 8 hours. This gives the filters sufficient time to clean the water and for the chemicals to circulate.

Q: Should I shock my pool during the day?

A: Using a type of shock with stabilizer or cyanuric acid levels within it should be ok to use in the day. The stabilizer and cyanuric acid levels will protect the chlorine from the sun. Without stabilizer, the sun will eat away at the chlorine. The more the sun eats the chlorine, the less effective the shock is.

Q: Why is my pool so cloudy after I shock it?

A: After shocking your pool, it is normal to see cloudiness in the water. This means that the algae inside the pool has been killed and has risen to the top. In order to get rid of this you can use clarifying tablets to clear the pool of the cloudiness.

Q: How long should I wait after using other chemicals in the pool?


A: After adding other chemicals to the pool you should wait around an hour to reenter the pool. If the chemicals contain chlorine, it’s not safe to get in. Wait until chlorine levels have gone down or dissipated. All chemicals dissolve at different paces so it is best to check your pools levels before use. This is important if you have just added chemicals recently.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *